Hunt still on for FD escapee

One of two inmates who escaped from the Webster County Jail Thursday night was still at large as of press time Friday.

Jason Patrick Sullivan, 43, was being held on felony charges of domestic abuse and false imprisonment, along with misdemeanor charges, when he and George H. Johnson, 32, escaped from the Webster County Jail Thursday night.

Sullivan, who has previously listed his address as Fort Dodge, was awaiting trial on Sept. 30 in Webster County after pleading not guilty to his charges, according to online court records.

Johnson was found around 3 a.m. Friday, according to Webster County Sheriff Jim Stubbs, but Sullivan remained at large.

At the time of the escape, Sullivan and Johnson were doing laundry for the jail, according to a press release issued by Stubbs.

“We’re asking for any community information that they could provide,” Stubbs said Friday evening. “We’ll act on it.”

The investigation determined that a commercial dryer was moved to gain access to a small locked room behind the dryer. Once there, the prisoners damaged a small vent opening, then used sheets tied together to reach part way down to the alley and drop the remaining distance to the ground.

The area the pair escaped from was remodeled during an extensive renovation of the Webster County Law Enforcement Center between 2010 and 2012 that cost about $6.6 million.

They apparently escaped around 10:45 p.m.; the investigation into their absence began at 11 p.m.

Johnson was facing charges of burglary, theft, criminal mischief and parole violation.

He also has pending charges in Hancock County.

Johnson apparently injured himself during the escape and was taken into custody at Trinity Regional Medical Center’s Emergency Department without incident.

Sullivan and Johnson will be charged with felony escape and any other appropriate charges that arise out of the ongoing investigation, authorities said.

A routine jail inspection completed last month resulted in “an excellent evaluation and a glowing report,” according to Stubbs.

It’s possible the issue that led to the escape may have been something that wasn’t obvious during the inspection, he said.

“We’re going to revisit all of that and change anything that we need to,” Stubbs said late Friday.

In May, Tanner King pleaded guilty to absence from custody in connection with an escape attempt from September 2012. King was in an exercise area in the jail when he got through a secured door on the roof.

King landed in the alley between Seventh and Eighth streets after falling 40 feet in what investigators said was an attempt to leap 22 feet from the Law Enforcement Center to the former Messenger Printing building.

The Webster County Sheriff’s Department was assisted in Thursday and Friday’s investigation by the Fort Dodge Police Department.

Anyone with information pertaining to the investigation or the location of Sullivan should contact the Webster County sheriff’s office at 573-1410 or call Webster County Crime Stoppers at 573-1444, online at or by text-ing LEC and the tip to CRIMES (274637).