Standoff ends peacefully

A man who barricaded himself inside a Fort Dodge home was safely taken into police custody after a nearly four-hour standoff Tuesday morning.

Kristopher L. Fye, 29, surrendered without incident to local law enforcement shortly after 10 a.m. at his home at 222 Ave. D. No one was injured in connection with the incident.

Officers arrived after Lee Sundine, who was delivering The Messenger at 4:44 a.m., called police saying a man threatened to shoot him.

Police made contact with Helen Kruse, 82, and she directed them to her grandson, Fye.

Fort Dodge Police Chief Tim Carmody said officers were concerned about the possibility of weapons in the house and the fact that an elderly woman was also inside the home.

Officers reported hearing banging noises suggesting the man was barricading himself inside.

Negotiators from the Iowa State Patrol and the Fort Dodge/Webster County Special Emergency Response Team were on scene during the standoff. Two ambulances from Trinity Regional Medical Center were also parked nearby.

Avenue D was blocked off, as was an alley behind the house, while law enforcement negotiated with Fye. Officers also told anybody outside near the scene to go inside their homes as a safety precaution.

Negotiators were sent to the home at about 6:30 a.m, according to scanner traffic.

Police confirmed Kruse was not held against her will at around 7 a.m.

While negotiators were trying to convince Fye to come out of the house, police were ordered to stay out of sight.

Several times throughout the morning, Fye said he would come out, but didn’t follow through.

At about 9:25 a.m. he began began to bang on the windows of the house, and the door finally opened at 9:40 a.m.

Scanner reports indicated that Fye said he would come out after he finished his tobacco and beer, but the door closed again and Fye reportedly was back inside with another beer.

He was involved in multiple phone calls with officers, until he threw his phone out onto the front yard shortly before 10 a.m.

At 10:05 a.m., he came out and was taken into custody.

Fye was transported to Trinity Regional Medical Center for evaluation.

While serving a search warrant at the house, police found a silver handgun and other items of evidence.

Fye is charged with going armed with intent -a Class D felony – and assault while displaying a weapon, first-degree harassment, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Neighbors, who were told to stay inside their homes, were glued to the action.

“I was just watching it,” Rose Davis said.

Another neighbor, Mary Kastendieck, said it was like something you would see on TV.

“I was scared,” she said.

As the situation started to develop, Laina Hoover began taking photos.

“Nothing ever happens here,” Hoover said.

Brittany Pettigrew, who lives two blocks away from the standoff site, was watching from her street corner.

She described the situation as “crazy” and said she’s never seen anything like it before.

Pettigrew added that it was concerning, especially since she didn’t know exactly what was going on.

“You’ve got kids here and you want to know what’s happening,” Pettigrew said. “Do I let them play outside? I’m just happy they’re sleeping right now.”

Kayleen Scott, who followed the standoff on social media, said it was “shocking seeing something like that going on.”

“This is a quiet little side of town, and once something like this starts up everything changes,” Scott said.

She added that she was grateful that “nobody was hurt and no gunshots were fired.”

Scott said she felt bad for Kruse.