UPDATE: Man in standoff with Fort Dodge police

A man who barricaded himself inside a Fort Dodge home was safely taken into police custody hours after he refused to come out.

Kristopher L. Fye, 29, surrendered without incident to Fort Dodge Police around 10:05 a.m.

The standoff happened at 222 Ave. D.

Officers arrived after Lee Sundine, who was delivering The Messenger at 4:44 a.m., called police saying a man threatened to shoot him, according to police.

Police made contact with Helen Kruse, 82, and she directed them to her grandson, Fye.

Chief Tim Carmody said officers were concerned about the possibility of weapons in the home and the fact that an elderly woman was also inside the home.

Police confirmed Kruse was not held against her will at around 7 a.m.

Nobody was hurt, according to Carmody.

Officers reported hearing banging noises suggesting the man was barricading himself inside.

Negotiators from the Iowa State Patrol and the Fort Dodge/Webster County Special Emergency Response Team were on scene during the nearly four-hour standoff.

Two ambulances from Trinity Regional Medical Center were also parked near the scene.

Avenue D was blocked off, as was an alley behind the house, while law enforcement negotiated with the barricaded man. Officers also told anybody outside near the scene to go inside their homes as a safety precaution.

Negotiators were sent into the home at about 6:30 a.m. this morning, according to scanner traffic.

While negotiators were talking the man out, police were ordered to stay out of sight.

Several times throughout the morning the man said he would come out of the home.

At about 9:25 a.m. the man began to bang on the windows of the home he had barricaded himself into.

The door opened at 9:40 a.m.

At about 9:55 a.m. the man said he was finishing his tobacco and beer, according to scanner traffic.

After five minutes, the door was closed again and he was back inside with another beer, according to scanner traffic.

At 10:05 a.m. the man came out and was taken into custody.

Fye was transported to Trinity Regional Medical Center for evaluation.

While serving a warrant, police found a handgun.

Fye is charged with going armed with intent, which is a Class D felony, and assault while displaying a weapon, first-degree harassment, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Neighbors, who were told to stay inside their homes, watched as the scene unfolded.

“I was just watching it,” Rose Davis said.

Another neighbor, Mary Kastendick, said it was like something you would see on TV.

“I was scared,” she said.

As the situation started to develop, Laina Hoover began taking photos.

“Nothing ever happens here,” Hoover said.

Brittany Pettigrew, who lives two blocks away from the standoff site, was watching the situation unfold from her street corner.

She described the situation as “crazy” and said shes never seen anything like it before.

Pettigrew added that it was concerning, especially since she didnt know exactly what was going on.

“You’ve got kids here and you want to know what’s happening,” Pettigrew said. “Do I let them play outside? I’m just happy they’re sleeping right now.”

Kayleen Scott, who followed the standoff on social media, said it was “shocking seeing something like that going on.”

“This is a quiet little side of town, and once something like this starts up everything changes,” Scott said.

She added that she was grateful that “nobody was hurt and no gunshots were fired.”

Scott said she felt bad for Kruse.