Decorah eagle dies after electrocution
DECORAH (AP) – Researchers monitoring a young eagle in Decorah said the bird died after being electrocuted by a power line.
The Raptor Resource Project said the male eaglet was near a utility pole Tuesday when it was electrocuted. He suffered burns to a wing and the feathers on its feet were singed.
Officials called the electrocution “extremely unusual.” An initial inspection of the distribution line where the eagle was electrocuted shows it was appropriately protected. They believe the eagle either tried to perch on a line or collided with it.
The bird was part of a group of eagles being monitored by the Raptor Resource Project, a nonprofit group that helps preserve various birds including falcons and eagles.