Brooks facing criminal mischief, traffic charges

A report about a possible burglary in progress has led to one man facing connection with a minor accident while driving away from the scene.

Depending on the outcome of the investigation, it’s possible Marian Brooks, 27, of Fort Dodge, may face more charges, according to Police Chief Tim Carmody.

Officers were called to the area of 328 N. Eighth St. Monday night at 9:18 p.m. after witnesses noticed two men acting suspiciously.

It was believed the men may have been committing a burglary.

When officers arrived on scene, the suspects ran towards Corpus Christi Church where they got into a vehicle and fled the scene.

Carmody said witnesses provided officers with descriptions of both the suspects and the vehicle, as well as the direction they were traveling in.

At 9:30 p.m., Carmody said another witness called the Webster County Communications Center to report a man acting suspiciously in the alley behind the Beacon of Hope, 1021 First Ave. N. As officers arrived on scene, the man, who matched the description of the suspect from the earlier call, began to run from officers.

The man, identified as Brooks, was arrested without incident in the 1200 block of Central Avenue.

Officers found the vehicle that Brooks was seen fleeing in at First Avenue North and North 10th Street. Carmody said it had struck a parked trailer that was owned by First United Methodist Church.

In addition to two counts of interference with official acts, Brooks was also charged with driving under suspension, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving and not having insurance while involved in an accident. All the charges are simple misdemeanors.

At his initial appearance in Webster County Magistrate Court Tuesday, Brooks pleaded not guilty to all of the charges. Magistrate William Thatcher scheduled Brooks’ trial date for May 28.

He also ordered Brooks held in the Webster County Jail on $1,800 bond.

The investigation into the original call at 328 N. Eighth St. is ongoing, and Carmody said more charges may be filed depending on the outcome of the case.