FD Police contract OK’d by city council
A new contract with unionized police officers in Fort Dodge was approved by the City Council on Monday.
The pact with Public Professional and Maintenance Employees Local 2003 is for the period from July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2017. It covers patrol officers, sergeants and lieutenants.
The officers will receive a 1.25 percent raise on July 1, a 2 percent raise on Jan. 1, 2015; a 1.5 percent raise on July 1, 2015; a 1.5 percent raise on Jan. 1, 2016, and a 2.25 percent raise on July 1, 2016.
The council approved the contract without discussion. Councilmen Kim Alstott and Andy Fritz were absent from the otherwise unanimous vote.
In another public safety personnel move, the council approved the hiring of three new firefighters. They are John Ascherl, Derek DeWitt and Greg Nelson.
Ascherl is a volunteer firefighter in Vincent who is an emergency medical technician at Trinity Regional Medical Center. DeWitt is a volunteer firefighter and emergency medical technician from Moville in Woodbury County.Nelson is from Minnesota, where he was an emergency medical technician with an ambulance service and a volunteer firefighter.
The hiring of those three gives the Fire Department a full roster of 31 members.
Also on Monday, the council:
– Approved a new firefighter job description which requires new firefighters to be emergency medical technicians when they are hired.
– Hired Calhoun-Burns and Associates Inc., of West Des Moines., to inspect 17 bridges at a cost of $9,400.
– Sold city-owned property at 526 Second St. N.W. to Robbie Stevens and Patrick Moore for $15,000.
– Hired Iowa Athletic Field Construction Co., of Webster City, to repair the main baseball diamond at Harlan and Hazel Rogers Sports Complex for $22,984.
– Purchased pickup truck for the Public Works Department from Shimkat Motor Co., of Fort Dodge, of $24,449.