Farm News Ag Show set for Dec. 4, 5 run
Farm News is hosting its 12th annual ag show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 4 and from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 5 at the Iowa Central Community College East Campus, 2031 Quail Ave., Fort Dodge.
Two of the four speakers on Dec. 4 will focus on crop marketing and the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy assessment was conducted.
Chad Hart, an Iowa State Univeristy crops markets specialist, will speak from 3 p.m. until 4:15 p.m. and will discuss “The Give and Take of Crop Markets.”
“2013 has been a challenging year from a production and marketplace perspective,” Hart said. “The weather shifts presented production uncertainty and price volatility. This talk will cover the current status of corn and soybean crops, examine the factors shaping demand for those crops and explore returns that are still there for farmers to capture.”
Matt Helmers, an Iowa State University associate professor and Extension agricultural engineer, will speak from 10:30 a.m. until 11:45 a.m., discussing “Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy Science Assessment.”
Helmers said this talk will cover current conditions in Iowa relative to nutrient export from ag lands and what practices farmers can implement to reduce nutrient export.
Helmer’s appearance is sponsored by Minnesota Valley Testing Labs, New Ulm, Minn.
More than 30,000 square feet of exhibitor space and more than 70 exhibitors from Iowa and surrounding states will showcase their latest state-of-the-art technology in grain products, equipment, ag services, seed varieties and farm toys.
Parking is free, and there is no admission charge to the show.
Those attending the show can register to win a Kubota top and bottom set toolbox, valued at more than $2,100. The toolbox is provided by R & J Material Handling, in Fort Dodge, and Farm News. They can also win a 1/16 die-cast metal replica of a Steiger Panther PTA 325, which is provided by Le Mars Toy Store, in Le Mars.
Other speakers in the 2013 line up include:
On Dec. 4:
- Elwynn Taylor, Iowa State University’s agriculture meteorologist, will speak from 9 a.m. until 10:15 a.m., discussing “All About Weather and Crops in 2014.” Taylor’s appearance is sponsored by Anderson Implement of Fort Dodge and United Bank of Iowa, Fort Dodge office.
- Melissa O’Rourke, an ISU farm and agribusiness management specialist, will speak from 1:30 p.m. until 2:45 p.m., discussing “Good Farm Policy: Top Ten Farm Estate and Succession Planning Mistakes to Avoid.” O’Rourke’s appearance is sponsored by Northwest Bank of Fort Dodge.
On Dec. 5:
- David Kruse, president of CommStock Investments and author of the CommStock Report, based in Royal, will speak from 8 a.m. until 9:15 a.m. discussing “Going Off the Deep End; Adapting to the Fall.” Kruse’s appearance is sponsored by Brokaw Supply of Fort Dodge.
- Kelvin Leibold, an ISU farm and agribusiness management specialist, will speak from 10 a.m. until 11:15 a.m., discussing “The Future of World Agriculture: Impact on Local Prices, Rents and Profits.”
- Matt O’Neal, an ISU associate professor of entomology, will speak from 1 p.m. until 2:15 p.m., discussing “Should Corn and Soybean Farmers Care About Pollinators?”
Water will be served during the speaker presentations by Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters of Fort Dodge.
Readers from across 33 counties in northwest and north central Iowa will have a chance to meet face-to-face with more than 70 exhibitors.
Lunch is available on-site by the Webster County Pork Producers from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 4 and by the Webster County Beef Producers from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 5.
Meals will be served by the Growth Alliance Ag Leaders with the help of Iowa Central Community College agricultural students.
There will be a free pancake breakfast for the first 525 guests from 7:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 5. The breakfast is catered by Chris Cakes and is sponsored by Lundell Plastics, of Odebolt.
Farm News Ag Show partners include Iowa Central Community College, Webster County Farm Bureau, R & J Material Handling, Lundell Plastics, Brokaw Supply, Anderson Implement, United Bank of Iowa, John Pitzer Sales, Northwest Bank, Le Mars Toy Store, Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters, Growth Alliance Ag Leaders, Webster County Pork Producers and the Webster County Beef Producers.
For more information, contact Dana Lantz, advertising manager, Farm News, 713 Central Ave., Fort Dodge, at email@example.com, or 574-4451, Ext. 450.