Second Baptist celebrates anniversary
Second Baptist Church will celebrating its 126th anniversary Sunday, beginning with its 11 a.m. worship service at the church, 1827 Fourth Ave. S.
A fish fry will begin at 3 p.m at the church and continue until 6 p.m. or the fish is gone, followed by a worship service at 4 p.m. , featuring the Rev. Bobby Young from Mount Hebron Baptist, Des Moines. A $10 donation is suggested for the fish fry. Everyone is welcome.
Second Baptist Church, one of the oldest black churches in Iowa, was founded in 1887 after the charter member families secured a piece of land at the corner of 16th Street and Central Avenue. A small building was erected and later moved to the back yard of the home of one of the members at 15th Street and Central Avenue.
In the early 1900s, an anonymous white resident donated a lot at the corner of Fourth Avenue South and 18th Street, the current church site. The original building was moved to the new site and enlarged in 1910.
The current church building was completed in 1976, and the pastor is the Rev. D.C. Darensbourg.