Three arrested after capture attempt

What started out Tuesday as an attempt to bring a fugitive into custody ended with the suspect and two others charged with interfering with police.

Fort Dodge Police officers were getting ready to arrest Kalen K. Crandall, 24, of Fort Dodge, on charges of probation violation and third-degree theft.

Police Chief Tim Carmody said Officer Keaton Lunn had seen Crandall going into the house at 813 S. 18th St. around lunch time.

According to Carmody, Lunn went to the door and asked Dennis Crandall, 50, the father of the suspect, if he could search the house for his son. The elder Crandall refused to let Lunn in.

Other officers responded to the scene, but Dennis Crandall still refused to admit officers into his home. Eventually, the officers took the elder Crandall into custody and then entered the house to look for the younger Crandall.

“Officers attempted to get Kalen to comply with lawful orders to come down, but Kalen refused to comply,” according to Carmody, who said the younger Crandall was hiding in the house’s attic.

“Kalen was taken into custody a short time later,” Carmody said.

In the process, Kalen Crandall had to be Tased, according to the criminal complaint. After that, he was arrested.

After the younger Crandall’s arrest, Carmody said Nancy Kuske, 55, who also lives at 813 S. 18th St., arrived home and ignored officers’ requests to leave. She was eventually arrested.

Kuske and Dennis Crandall were both charged with interference with official acts and accessory after the fact.

In addition to the original charges against him, Kalen Crandall was also charged with interference with official acts, as well as fourth-degree criminal mischief after he allegedly damaged a window in the Webster County Jail.

The three made their initial appearances in Webster County Magistrate Court Wednesday morning.

District Associate Court Judge Angela Doyle, who presided over the hearing due to a conflict of interest with Magistrate William Habhab, ordered Kalen Crandall held on $8,300 bond. Both Dennis Crandall and Kuske were released with supervision to the Department of Adult Corrections.

The younger Crandall’s preliminary hearing has been set for Feb. 13.